The veterinary industry is facing a crisis in mental well-being with burnout, compassion fatigue, and alarmingly high suicide rates. For Jamie and Bryan Adams, this status quo was not acceptable. They started Shiner’s Pizza Salute as a way “to celebrate the amazing veterinary professionals who care for our pets (and yours!) like their own….”
Join us for this emotional celebration of “the best good boy there ever was – Shiner – a rescued blue Weimaraner” and how he inspired a national effort to recognize the work of dedicated, caring, and amazing veterinary professionals. Be forewarned, you will definitely want to have tissues readily available.
Here are links to the information we talked about today:
- Read about Shiner’s story on their original GoFundMe page
- Nominate a veterinary professional for a “Pizza Salute”
- Check out previous winners on the “Shiner’s Pizza Salute” Facebook page
- “The scourge of suicide in veterinary medicine” from dvm360
- Not One More Vet is an organization created to support and encourage veterinary professionals who are struggling or considering suicide
If you or someone you know may be contemplating suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or text HOME to 741741 to reach the Crisis Text Line. In emergencies, call 911, or seek care from a local hospital or mental health provider.
Got a question for Michael and Stephen? Run across something interesting you want to share with the show? Do you have a topic idea for a future episode? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.